Augusta Victoria was built in 1907 on the Mount of Olives by Kaiser Wilhelm II in honor of his wife, Augusta Viktoria of Schleswig-Holstein. It served as the center for German Protestants in Jerusalem. It included the Evangelical Lutheran Church of the Ascension with a 65-meter bell tower and a hospice for Christian pilgrims.
Augusta Victoria was the official residence of the British High Commissioner of the Palestine Mandate before British headquarters moved to Armon Hanatziv in 1927. Herbert Samuel resided there until his return to Britain in 1925.
Today it serves as a hospital for Arab residents of East Jerusalem.